The Church (St. Mary) is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4. 6s. 8d., and in 1831, at £180; and now enjoyed by the Rev. Robt. Hales, M.A., of Herringswell, Suffolk. The corn tithe is mostly redeemed, and the glebe is 36A.
The old Poor's Land, 10 acres, was exchanged, at the enclosure, in 1810, for an allotment of 10A. 22P., which is let, in small lots, to the poor, at rents amounting to about £16 a year, which is divided in small sums on Plough Monday. The Poor's Allotment, awarded in 1810, consists of 15A. 3R. 35P., let for about £30 a year, which is distributed in coals, together with £2, the rent of 2R. 30P., allotted to a cottage, formerly used as a poor-house.
The National School, with a house for the teachers, was built in 1841, chiefly at the expense of R. Copeman, Esq. It is attended by about 100 children.
Bellman Rev Augs. curate, Vicarage Bishop John gentleman Boulton Robert gardener Copeman Robt. Esq. Hemsby Hall Copeman Robt. jun. Hemsby Lodge Daniel Benj. beerhouse, Cliff Dow Samuel blacksmith Emmerson George wheelwright Ferrier Mrs Elizabeth Grymes James shoemaker Gunn Henry grocer and draper Hind Robert National School Johnson Richard blacksmith Lound John shoemaker Myhill Wm. gardener Page John bricklayer and beerhs Parish Mrs Elizabeth Starling George corn miller Thurtle Thomas vict. Blue Bell Waller John surgeon Woolston George joiner, &c. FARMERS. Bowers Thos. Juby William Dunham J. Johnson Richard Durrant Edmund Littlewood John English Thos. Pettingill Edmd. Gallant James Shilcock Cubit Gibson Benj. Turner George Green Robert Watson Robert Harbord Griffin Wilson Mark
See also the Hemsby parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.