HEMPSTEAD, a village and parish, 8 miles E. by S. of North Walsham, and 3½ miles N.E. by E. of Stalham, has 175 souls, and 907 acres of land, exclusive of Eccles by the Sea, which is united with it for the support of the poor. J. Blake, Esq., of Bramerton, owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor.
The Church (St. Andrew) is an ancient structure, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7.2s.6d. and in 1831 at £542, with that of Lessingham annexed to it, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Wilkins, M.A. The glebe is 47A.3R.34P., and the tithes of Hempstead were commuted, in 1840, for £290 per annum.
The Poor's Pasture is 9A., awarded at the enclosure. The poor have also the interest of £32, and a yearly rent of 3s.4d., left by Mr A.C. Grey.
Wilkins Rev. E., M.A. Rectory Marler Mrs Ann Kirby Timothy farmer Littlewood Wm farmer Marler Richard farmer Pilgrim Jas. farmer Silcock Wm. farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.