HEMPSTEAD, 2 miles S.E. of Holt, is a parish in Erpingham union, Holt hundred, petty sessional division, and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Holt polling district of North Norfolk, Holt rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 248 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1756 acres of land, including 100 acres of woods and plantations. The rateable value is £2076. John Henry Gurney, Esq., is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and owner of a great part of the soil; but the Marquis of Lothian, J.T. Mott, and Hugh Rump, Esqrs., and some others, have estates here.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a small fabric, comprising only a nave, a south porch, and a low brick tower, built in 1744.
The discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £9 6s. 8d., was augmented in 1792 with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, laid out in land at Bodham, let for £28 a year. Here are 16 acres of old glebe. The Rev. Charles Louis Rudd, M.A., is incumbent; and the Dean and Chapter of Norwich are patrons and also appropriators of the great tithes, which are leased to the Marquis of Lothian, and were commuted for £289 11s. 11d. in 1839, when the vicarial tithes were commuted for £150 a year. The annual value of the living has since been augmented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to £200. A vicarage house was built by public subscription in 1876.
Here is an INFANTS' SCHOOL, erected by public subscription in 1877, and supported by a voluntary rate.
POST from Dereham.
Barnard Charles farmer Beckett Joseph farmer Bond Robert farmer and overseer Hendry Thomas farmer Harrison Noah blacksmith Ling Edmund farmer, landagent, valuer, and surveyor, The Hall Mack Richard farmer and surveyor, and at Baconsthorpe Neal John farmer, overseer, and vict. White Horse Inn Riseborough Thomas farmer Rudd Rev. Charles Louis, M.A. vicar, The Vicarage Rump Mrs C. farmer, Church farm Stanley Miss schoolmistress Wright John parish clerk
Copyright © Pat Newby.