Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Hempstead by Holt

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

HEMPSTEAD, 2 miles S.E. of Holt, has in its parish 296 souls, and 1756A. 2R. 8P. of land, including about 100A. of woods and plantations. H. and R.H. Gurney, Esqrs., are lords of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall; but a great part of the soil belongs to Lady Suffield, J.T. Mott and Wm. Bircham, Esqrs., and a few smaller owners.

The Church (All Saints,) has a brick tower, built in 1744. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £9. 6s. 8d., and augmented, in 1792, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, laid out in land at Bodham, let for £28 a year. Here is 16A. of old glebe. The Rev. J.W. Methold, A.M., of Wighton, is the incumbent, and the Dean and Chapter of Norwich are patrons and appropriators of the great tithes, leased to Lady Suffield, and commuted, in 1839, for £270, and the vicarial tithes for £140 per annum. The Rev. S.C. Leake, of Holt, is the curate.

The poor receive clothing yearly from H. and R.H. Gurney, Esqrs.

Directory:-

	Curson   Henry             vict., Hare and Hounds
	Dagless  John              blacksmith
	Langton  Rev. Arthur, M.A. rector of Matlask, &c.
	Miller   Charles           gent.
	Money    George            shoemaker
	Pell     Thomas            carrier to Norwich, Friday
	Pointer  John              gamekeeper
	Wright   Thos.             vict., White Horse

	   farmers.

	Bird     Wm.               (Hole House)
	Bond     Jeremiah
	Garwood  Mrs. Frances
	Ling     Benj.             (Hall)
	Ramm     Robert
	Richmond John
	Rump     Wm. Elsden

See also the Hempstead by Holt parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2008