[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HILLINGTON, or Hellington, 7 miles S.E. of Norwich, and 4 N. by W. of Loddon. It is in Loddon hundred, Loddon and Clavering union and petty sessional division, Norwich county court and bankruptcy districts, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, West Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 100 inhabitants in 1881, living on 516 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £918. The soil belongs to Doughty Hospital, Norwich, Major Marcon, the Rev. R.C. Denny, and the Rev. George Gilbert. Sir C.H.S. Rich, Bart., is lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (St. John the Baptist) is a small but interesting building, chiefly of early Decorated architecture, consisting of nave, chancel, south porch, and round tower, and seating 80 persons. The north side of the chancel is without windows, but on the south side are three, each of two lights, but differing in the pattern of the tracery; and to the east of them is a double piscina. Outside the chancel is a beautifully designed gable-cross. The tracery of the east window is gone, but its shafts with flowered capitals remain in the inside. On the south side of the nave are two Early Decorated windows, differing from each other and from those in the chancel; but on the north side there is only one window, which is of Perpendicular style, and of two lights.
The two doorways of the nave are Norman; that on the north side is of handsome character, having shafts with cushion capitals, a kind of lozenge or saltire ornament on the arch and the billet moulding on the label. The south doorway is much finer, and has three orders of mouldings, with capitals of various design. The arch is richly sculptured with the chevron, double cone, and other mouldings. The porch is a highly ornamented specimen of the early Decorated style, and has three windows or open arches on each side. These differ in design; that next the church being trefoiled, the middle one cinquefoiled, and the outer one trefoiled and double-feathered. At the angles are buttresses, with elegant trefoiled niches in them, the triangular heads crocketed. Above the outer doorway was a niche containing a figure of the patron saint, but the upper part has been destroyed. It was restored in 1880 by Cyrus Gillet, Esq., of Holverstone. Here is a small brass to Sir Anthony Gawdy, Kt., dated 1642.
Sir Charles H.S. Rich, Bart., is patron of the discharged rectory, which is now in the incumbency of the Rev. George William Danbeny, B.A., of Thurton.
In 1796, John Cock charged the farm, now belonging to Major Marcon, with £5 a year, for apprenticing a poor boy alternately from Hillington, Rockland, and Bramerton. He also left yearly 10s. to Hillington, and 20s. each to Bramerton and Rockland, for distributions of bread. The poor of Hillington hve also a yearly rent-charge of 20s. left by John Seaman, in 1749, and 20s. 8d. per annum as the interest of a sum of money in the three per cent. consols, left by John Barham.
POST from Norwich, viâ Framingham, delivered at 8 A.M., despatched at 3.30 P.M. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office at Norwich.
Brewer George farmer Buttle John parish clerk Gillet Cyrus frmr; h Holverstone hall Holman Jas. butcher and blacksmith Hurrell John farmer Leeder John farmer
See also the Hellington parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.