[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
HILLINGTON, or Hellington, 7 miles S.E. of Norwich, has only 64 souls, and 516A. of land, belonging partly to Doughty's Hospital, Norwich, and Mr. George Barham.
The CHURCH (St. John the Baptist,) has a round tower. The rectory (not in charge) was valued in 1831 at £126. It is in the alternate patronage of Sir W. B. Proctor, and Sir C. H. Rich; and is now enjoyed by the Rev. J. Gilbert, of Chedgrave.
In 1796, John Cock charged the farm, now occupied by Mrs. Miller, with £5 a year, for apprenticing a poor boy alternately from Hillington, Rockland, and Bramerton. He also left yearly, 10s. to Hillington, and 20s. each to Bramerton and Rockland, for distributions of bread. The poor of Hillington have also a yearly rent-charge of 20s., left by John Seaman, in 1749.
Brooks Mr. Bransbyfarmers
Miller Mrs. Mary Martin Wm.
See also the Hellington parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.