[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HELLESDON, or Hellesden, 2 miles N.W. of Norwich, is a parish in Norwich county court and bankruptcy district, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, Taverham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. The old or ancient parish contains 2013 acres, of which 1162 acres form the civil parish of Hellesdon, and are in St. Faith's union, and Taverham hundred and petty sessional division; the rest (851 acres) being in the hamlet of Hellesden, and in the county of the city of Norwich, and Norwich union. The hamlet has a population of 683. The rateable value of the civil parish is £1646, and the population in 1881 was 338, including the inmates of the lunatic asylum.
The CHURCH is notified with Norwich churches.
The soil chiefly belongs to Hugh Berners, Charles Middleton, J. Gurney, and H. Bullard, Esqrs., and the trustees of the late R.H. Gurney.
The NATIONAL SCHOOL is at Upper Hellesden, and was erected in 1852. (See also Norwich.)
POST viâ Norwich.
Marked * are in Hellesden hamlet.
Baker Miss Florence schoolmistress * Bullard Harry brewer (Bullard & Sons) * Gowing George farmer, Old Hall Holman George blacksmith * Hope Rev. C.A. curate * Hurn John builder and contractor Middleton Chas. farmer; h Holkham Mountain - parish clerk Orris Alfred farmer Potter Amos farmer Thompson George farm bailiff * Walter John Henry paper manufacturer, Taverham mills
Page 463: This is part of Churches in the Hamlets of Norwich:
HELLESDON CHURCH, about 2 miles W.N.W. of the Market Place, stands in Taverham Hundred, though the church and part of the churchyard is within the county of the city. It is dedicated to St. Mary, and is a small building of mixed Decorated and Perpendicular architecture, with nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch with parvise, and an octagonal turret containing one bell, and surmounted by a small wooden spire. The whole church was restored by subscription about fourteen years ago, when the porch was partially restored by W. Delane, Esq., and the rector, and the windows at the expense of the rector and J.H. Gurney, Esq. The north aisle contains some fine brasses of the latter part of the 14th. century. The font is antique, and there is a double piscina remaining, and also a low side window. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12, and now at £700 with Drayton, with which parish it is consolidated, and is in the gift of the Bishop, and incumbency of the Rev. Hinds Howell, M.A. The Rev. C.A. Hope, M.A., is the curate.
Page 485: This is part of The Relief of the Poor of Norwich:
The PAUPER LUNATIC ASYLUM, which is at Hellesdon, is managed by a committee of the corporation, though the necessary funds are raised in the poor rate and provided by the guardians on receiving a certificate. The building, which is a red brick structure, with white brick and stone dressing, is in the form of a series of blocks connected by corridors. From the middle of the central block a line of one-storey buildings extends right and left, broken at corresponding intervals on either side by two 9-storey blocks [sic], with projecting entrances, and behind each is a three-storey block. The central is the administrative block, the two-storeys are the infirmary blocks, and the three-storeys are the blocks for acute cases. The main entrance is by a vestibule into a lofty hall, which has a suite of rooms on either side for the officers, committee, dispensary, &c.
The wards on the male side are appropriated as follows:- Infirmary ward for the sick, 25 beds; chronic ward, 80 beds; acute ward, 36 beds; farm ward, 9 beds; total, 150 beds. The wards on the female side are:- Infirmary ward, 25 beds; chronic ward, 80 beds; acute ward, 36 beds; laundry ward, 20 beds; total, 161 beds. The asylum thus accommodates 311 patients, though the administrative department is designed on a scale to supply 400 patients. The building, designed by Mr. R.M. Phipson, architect, and erected by Messrs. Cornish & Gaymer, of North Walsham, has cost about £64,000, of which £1841 was for the land, £48,708 for the building, £3000 for the furniture, and £2000 for the architect. For the year ending March 24, 1882, the receipts amounted to £11,810 0s. 10d.; and the disbursements to £12,990 5s. 8d. The cost per head of the inmates for the quarter ending December 25, 1882, was 9s. 8d., as compared with 12s. for the corresponding quarter of 1881. Resident medical superintendent, Dr. Harris; matron, Mrs. Harris.
Page 489: This is part of Education in Norwich:
The only reference under Education to a school in Hellesdon is below, but this does not seem to be the one mentioned above, ie "The NATIONAL SCHOOL is at Upper Hellesdon".
Voluntary or Denominational Schools. The following is a list of the
voluntary schools, with the accommodation they provide, and the children
in average attendance, as reported in June 1882.
Lower Hellesdon Road: accommodation, 98; attendance, 49.5.
Page 505: This is part of the Hamlets of Norwich:
HELLESDON is divided into two parts, Upper and Lower, and has increased greatly within the last few years. It is 2 miles N.W. of the city, but its parish is partly in Taverham Hundred. It adjoins the river, which is here crossed by a cast-iron bridge, erected by the Corporation of Norwich in 1819. The common was enclosed in 1811. The Norwich Lunatic Asylum stands on that part of the parish which is in the county. The Bishop is lord of the manor, and owner of some part of the soil. Post Office at Philip How's, Upper Hellesdon. Letters despatched to Norwich at 6.30 p.m. Letters for Lower Hellesdon come direct from Norwich twice a day.
See also the Hellesdon parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.