Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Helhoughton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

HELOUGHTON, a pleasant village, in a valley, 5 miles S.W. by W. of Fakenham, has in its parish 356 inhabitants, and 1,638 acres of land, mostly the property of Lord Chas. Vere Ferrars Townshend, the lord of the manor, impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £258, with that of South Rainham annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. Arthur Loftus, of Fincham.

The CHURCH (All Saints,) has a nave, chancel, and tower.

Chas. Wm. Hill, Esq., has a small estate here.

Lord Townshend pays £6 14s. 8d. per annum, alternately to the parishes of Heloughton and West Rainham, for apprenticing poor children, as left by Lady Mary Townshend, in 1662. The poor of Heloughton have £3 6s. 8d. a year, left by Lady Jane Berkeley, in 1617; and 20 acres of wet peaty land, allotted at the enclosure, in 1821, when 1A. 3R. was awarded to the church.

Directory:-

	Bond         Jno.       wheelwright
	Booth        Geo.       shopkeeper
	Branchflower Jno.       blacksmith
	Francis      Benj       farmer
	Gamnara      Eml.       vict., Buck
	Harper       Daniel     joiner
	Neal         Hy.        baker
	Newell       Thos.      farmer
	Parlett      Geo.       baker
	Scott        James      shopkeeper
	Stedman      Charles    farmer
	Stibbard     Sarah      spirit merchant

See also the Helhoughton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 2008