[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
HEDENHAM, 3 miles N.N.W. of Bungay, and 11 miles S.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 272 souls, and about 1,564A. of land. Lord Boston and F.W. Irby, Esq., are lords of the manors, but a great part of the soil belongs to J. J. Bedingfield, Esq., J.W. Gooch, Esq., and a few smaller owners. The hall has been long unoccupied.
At the Mermaid Inn is a beautiful Rosary of three acres, highly celebrated for supplying the most valuable varieties.
The CHURCH (St. Mary,) is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £13 6s. 8d., and now having 30A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £450, awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes. J. J. Bedingfield, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. John Peter Chambers, incumbent. The dividends of £63 2s. 4d. Stock, left by Wm. Crispe, in 1798, are applied - 20s. in a distribution of bread, and the remainder in schooling poor children.
The Town Lands, 54A. 34P., are let for £49 10s., which is applied with the church and poor rates. The parish has a double cottage occupied by poor families.
Bircham Robt. Benj. vict., Mermaid, and Rosary Buck Richd. gardener Chambers Rev.J. P. Rectory Folkard Thos. blacksmith Hopper John gent. Leach Emanuel joiner
Boon Chas. Burton Edw. Cattermole Samuel Hylton Edw. Legood Samuel Mann Samuel
See also the Hedenham parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.