HECKINGHAM, a parish of scattered houses, 2 miles E. of Loddon, comprises 1084A. of land, and had 309 inhabitants in 1841, including 138 in the large Union Workhouse, which is already noticed at page 805 [which is the entry for the Loddon and Clavering Union]. The Rev. E. Willis and Mr. John Freston are lords of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to the Rev. J. Gilbert, R. Hayward, S. Denny, and Sir E.B. Smyth, Bart.
The latter is impropriator of the tithes, and patron of the perpetual curacy, which was valued in 1831 at £31, and is enjoyed, with that of Hales, by the Rev. W.W. Hobson, M.A. The Church (St. Gregory,) is a small thatched building, with a tower and two bells.
The Poor's Allotment, 2A. 3R. 38P., was awarded at the enclosure in 1822.
Brigham John master of the Union Workhouse Alexander James schoolmaster Hobson Rev. W.W., M.A. incumbent, and chaplain to the Union yeomen farmers Denny Stephen Blunderfield Henry Freston John Eastaugh Jonathan Hayward Richard Middleton Edward
Copyright © Pat Newby.