Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Heacham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1836

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

HEACHAM, 14 miles N.N.E. of Lynn, is a large and scattered village, on the sea-coast, sheltered behind by a bold acclivity, at the foot of which a small rivulet flows across the salt marsh to the flat beach, where there is no harbour for shipping, though coal vessels and other small craft unlade their cargoes on the sands. The parish has increased its population, since 1801, from 524 to 735 souls, and contains 3465A. 2R. 25P. of land, all arable, except 909A. in pasturage, 146 in waste, and 64A. of plantations.

The principal owners of the soil are Henry L'Estrange Styleman, Esq., Edmund Rolfe, Esq., and the Rev. Martin Davy. The two latter have handsome seats here, called the Hall and the Lodge, and the first is lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., augmented in 1779 with £200 of Queen Anne's bounty, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Henry North.

The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square tower, rising between the nave and chancel, and formerly had transepts. Here are inscriptions to the Redmaynes and Rolfes. One of the latter family sailed with Sir Walter Raleigh, in his voyages of discovery, and married the princess Pocahon [sic], daughter of one of the most celebrated Indian chiefs, which greatly facilitated the friendly intercourse between the natives and the English.

The Independent Chapel, built here in 1832, is under the ministry of the Rev. P. Kent.

The School was founded by subscription, in 1815, for 25 free scholars.

Ths [sic] poor's land, allotted at the enclosure in 1780, is let for £10. 10s., and a cottage for £3; besides which, the poor have two yearly rent-charges of 10s. each; but the donors are unknown.

	Allen      Thomas             schoolmaster 
	Bly        Benjamin           wheelwright
	Bradfield  James              maltster and coal merchant
	Bradfield  Robt.              grocer & draper
	Browne     Robert             tailor
	Heugh      Henry              tailor
	Davy       Miss E.            [see note below]
	Davy       Rev. Martin, D.D.  master of Corpus Christi College,
	                                The Lodge
	Dawes      William            joiner 
	Ellis      Robert             corn miller
	Filbey     Wm.                ale & porter mert.
	Granger    Robert             blacksmith
	Kent       Rev. Philip        Indpt. Min.
	May        Rev. James, B.A.   curate
	North      Miss Ann           [see note below]
	Nurse      Robert             bricklayer
	Pigge      Andrew             gentleman
	Richardson Clement            tinner, &c.
	Robinson   W.                 butcher  [see note below]
	Rolfe      Edm. Esq.          Heacham Hall
	Roythorne  Edm. & Jas.        coal dlrs.
	Silcock    George             auctioneer
	Simpson    John               maltster & beerhs.
	Spanton    William            miller & baker
	Wagg       James              baker
	Wilton     T.                 butcher  [see note below]
	Yaxley     Cath.              vict., Wheat Sheaf

	                     Farmers.

	Bly        William            Harrison   John
	Carter     Mrs.               Land       William
	Clement    Stagg              Rix        Benjamin
	Clowes     Francis            Rix        Henry
	Duffield   Thos.              Rix        William
	Foule      Robert             Wells      Robert

	   Shoemakers.

	Andrews    Robt.
	Collings   Wm.
	Hooks      Robert
	Jarrett    William
The Mail to Wells, at ¼ before 9 mng., & to Lynn at ½ p. 5 evg., leaves letters at Ths. Granger's.


Note: in the original this is
     Davy Miss E. & North Miss Ann
     Robinson W. & Wilton T., butchers
See also the Heacham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2009