[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HAVERINGLAND, 9 miles N.W. by N. of Norwich, and 3½ miles S.E. of Reepham, is a parish in St. Faith's union, Aylsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Eynsford petty sessional division and hundred, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, Sparham rural deanery, Norwich archdeaconry. It had 116 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2064 acres, and has a rateable value of £1788.
The parish belongs to Edward Fellowes, Esq., J.P., D.L., who married the Hon. Mary Julia Milles, daughter of Lord Sondes. About thirty-six years ago he erected a splendid new hall, in the Grecian style, on the eastern side of the extensive and well-wooded park, about half a mile from the old hall, which had long been the seat of his family. This elegant mansion is now one of the finest seats in Norfolk, and is a square building of Bath stone, with a handsome tower at the north-east angle.
The pleasure grounds are tastefully laid out, and have spacious conservatories, hot-houses, &c. In front of the house is a fine sheet of water covering 17 acres. The museum, on the east side of the hall, contains a fine collection of fossils, shells, birds, and curiosities, arranged by the Hon. Mrs. Fellowes. The present proprietor of the parish has greatly improved his estate and added to the comfort of the labourers, by pulling down all the old thatched houses and building a number of model cottages, each of which contains three bedrooms, has a quarter of an acre of land attached, and is let for £3 a year.
He also rebuilt the CHURCH (St. Peter) in 1858, except the ancient round tower, which is still retained. This beautiful church comprises nave, chancel, transepts, and south porch; all its windows are filled with rich stained glass, the floor is paved with encaustic tiles, and the pulpit, reading-desk, open seats, and other fittings, are of fine oak. The perpetual curacy, augmented with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, in 1755 and 1809, and now valued at £63, is in the patronage of Mr. Fellowes, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Medlicott Brown.
The SCHOOL was built by the Hon. Mrs. Fellowes in 1848. Near the village was De Monte Jovis Priory, founded in the reign of John by William de Gisneto, for Austin Canons, and granted at the Dissolution to William Halse. On the north side of the parish is the lofty shaft of an ancient cross.
POST OFFICE at Mrs. S. Harvey's. Letters arrive at 7.5 a.m., and are despatched at 3.50 p.m., viâ Norwich, and Causton [sic] is the nearest Money Order Office.
Blythe Thomas wheelwright Boddy George farmer Brown Rev. Thos. Medlicott, B.A. vicar; h Cawston Fellowes Edward, Esq., D.L., Haveringland hall; & J.P., & the Hon. Ramsay Abbey, Hants Mrs. Fellowes Gray John cattle dealer & victualler, King's Head Harvey Mrs Sarah postmistress Hickling J.S. farmer; h Cawston Hopkins William gardener Mansfield Mrs. schoolmistress Savage James gamekeeper Shreeves Thomas W. corn miller, Water mill Symonds Jas. J. farmer, Abbey farm Tait William Henry land agent to E. Fellowes, Esq.
See also the Haveringland parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.