[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HAVERINGLAND, 9 miles N.W. by N. of Norwich, and 3½ miles S.E. of Reepham, is a dispersed village and parish, with 160 inhabitants, and about 2000 acres of land, belonging to Edward Fellowes, Esq., M.P., who has lately erected a splendid new HALL, in the Grecian style, on the eastern side of the extensive and well-wooded Park, about half a mile from the old Hall, which had long been the seat of his family. This elegant mansion is still undergoing improvements, and when finished will be one of the finest seats in Norfolk. The pleasure grounds are beautifully laid out, and watered by a fine lake.
The spirited owner is lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the CHURCH, which is dedicated to St. Peter, and formerly had a chancel, of which some fragments still remain. It has a round tower, a nave, and a north aisle, the latter of which was built by Sir Roger Bilney. The perpetual curacy, augmented with £400 of Queen Anne's bounty, in 1755 and 1809, and valued in 1831 at £63, is enjoyed by the Rev. C. Wood.
Near the village was De Monte Jovis Priory, founded in the reign of John, by Wm. de Gisneto, for Austin Canons, and granted at the dissolution to Wm. Halse. On the north side of the parish, is the lofty shaft of an ancient cross.
Fellowes Edw., Esq. (M.P. for Huntingdonshire,) Haveringland Hall, and Ramsey Abbey, Hants Blyth Matthew wheelwright Rust John vict., King's Head farmers. Drane James Lock Sarah Ann Muskett Wm. Tallent Edwin
See also the Haveringland parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.