Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Little Hautbois

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

HAUTBOYS, (LITTLE) which adjoins [Great Hautboys], was once a separate parish, but has long been united with that of Lammas. It has 42 inhabitants, and about 338 acres of land. The Bishop of Norwich is lord of the manor, but the soil belongs chiefly to Sir H.T.E. Durrant, Captain Davy, and Norwich Charity Trustees. The latter own Hautboys Hall, a large brick house, in the Elizabethan style, occupied by a farmer.

The Church (St. Mary,) stood near the Bure, but no vestiges of it are now extant. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7, is consolidated with Lammas, which see.

Directory:

	Howard    James    farmer
	Ladbrooke James    (Hall;) farmer
	Postle    Wm       farmer
	Taylor    Wm.      vict., Adam and Eve

See also the Little Hautbois parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 1999