HAUTBOYS, (GREAT) on the north side of the Bure, eight miles N.N.E. of Norwich, is a small village and parish, with 162 inhabitants, and about 589 acres of land, mostly belonging to Lord Suffield, the lord of the manor. The Church (St. Theobald,) has a round tower, and is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4. 6s. 8d. Samuel Bignold, Esq., is the patron, and the Rev. W.J. Blake, of Lammas, is the incumbent. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for 208 [sic] per annum.
At the head of Hautboys, or as it is vulgarly called, Hobbies Causeway, there stood an Hospital, founded about 1235, by Sir Peter de Alto Bosco, for the reception of travellers and poor people, and licensed by the pope to have a chapel bell and chaplain. In 1312, Sir Robert Baynard converted his manor-house here into a castle; but no traces of it are now extant.
The four farmers are John Cross, James Herne, John Laws, and Henry Lee.
The other inhabitants are included with Coltishall, to which their houses adjoin.
Copyright © Pat Newby.