HASSINGHAM, near the north bank of the Yare, 10 miles E.S.E. of Norwich, and 2 miles E. of Buckenham Station, is a parish in Blofield hundred and union, and Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Blofield and Walsham petty sessional division, Freethorpe polling district of South Norfolk, Blofield rural deanery and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 116 inhabitants in 1881, living on 561A. 2R. 5P., and has a rateable value of £924 5s. The land belongs in nearly equal portions to Sir Reginald W. Proctor Beauchamp, Bart., Langley Park, and Mr. John Green, Bessey [sic], but the former is lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (St Mary) is a thatched building of Perpendicular architecture, and consists of nave, north and south porches, chancel, and octagonal tower with one bell. The chancel contains a piscina, and its roof is higher than [than] that of the nave. Over the south door the old Norman billet and chevron mouldings are very perfect. The building was restored in 1849 by the late rector, who fitted it with new open benches, pulpit, and reading-desk, gave a handsomely-carved screen, and filled the east window with stained glass. The interior of the roof is enriched with panelling and colour, that of the chancel having gold stars on a deep blue ground. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4, is consolidated with that of Buckenham Ferry. The glebe here is 3A. 1R. 18P.
The Poor's Allotment, 14A. 3R. 12P., awarded at the enclosure in 1800, is let for £15 a year. Half an acre of old poor's land is let for 10s. a year.
LETTERS delivered at 9 a.m., despatched at 3.30 p.m., viâ Burlingham. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office at Blofield.
Crowe Walter Thomas farmer Ellis William Henry farmer George Danl. carpenter; h Freethorpe Gunns Jeremiah farmer Halls George hawker Patterson Benjamin market gardener
Copyright © Pat Newby.