HASSINGHAM, near the north bank of the Yare, 10 miles E.S.E. of Norwich, and 2 miles E. of Buckenham station, has in its parish 118 inhabitants, and 710 acres. The land belongs in nearly equal portions to Sir Thos. W.B. Beauchamp-Proctor-Beauchamp, Bart., and Mr. John Green, but the former is lord of the manor.
The Church (St. Mary) is a neat thatched building of perpendicular architecture, and consists of nave, north and south porches, chancel, and octagonal tower with one bell. The chancel contains a piscina, and its roof is higher than that of the nave. Over the south door the old Norman billet and chevron mouldings are very perfect. The building was thoroughly restored in 1849 by the late rector, who fitted it with new open benches, pulpit, and reading-desk, gave a handsomely-carved screen, and filled the east window with stained glass. The interior of the roof is enriched with panelling and colour, that of the chancel having gold stars on a deep blue background.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4, is consolidated with that of Buckenham Ferry. The glebe here is 3A. 1R. 18P.
The Poor's Allotment, 14A. 3R. 12P., awarded at the enclosure in 1800, is let for £10 a year. Half an acre of old poor's land is let for 10s. a year.
The resident farmers are -
Bessey James Green Church farm Shepherd John Broad farm Nockolds Saml.POST from Norwich, via Burlingham.
Copyright © Pat Newby.