[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HARLING (WEST), a parish of scattered houses, from 1 to 2 miles W.S.W. of East Harling, contains 124 inhabitants, and 3034 acres of land, belonging to Sir George Edmund Nugent, Bart., who resides at the Hall, a large and handsome mansion, which was considerably enlarged and improved about five years ago, and stands in a well-wooded park on the southern acclivity of the small river Thet.
The Church (All Saints) is a small ancient building, containing two stained glass windows, mural tablets of the late Lord and Lady Colborne and their son, and three fine brasses, one of a priest and two of the Birdwell family, who resided here in an embattled mansion, which was demolished in 1725. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9. 18s. 4d., and now at £212, is in the patronage of Lady Nugent, and incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. John Harbord, M.A.
Here was anciently a hamlet called Middle Harling, with a church (St. Andrew), which was levelled in 1543.
In 1616, Dorothy Gawdy left 11A. 2R. 38P. of land in Kenninghall, and 3A. 1R. 2P. in Banham, to provide coats and petticoats for the poor of West Harling. The land is now let for £19 per annum.
The chief residents are -
The Rector Nugent Sir Geo. E., Bart. Hall Pymer Thos. farmer Ringer John farmer
POST from Thetford.
See also the West Harling parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.