Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: West Harling

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

HARLING, (WEST) a parish of scattered houses, from 1 to 2 miles W.S.W. of East Harling, contains 117 souls, and 3166 acres of land, belonging to the Right Hon. Nicholas Wm. Ridley Colborne, who was created BARON COLBORNE, in 1839, and was born in 1779. He was long a distinguished member of the House of Commons, and is brother to the late Sir M.W. Ridley, Bart., of Newcastle on Tyne. On succeeding to the estate of his maternal uncle, Wm. Colborne, Esq., he assumed the surname of Colborne, and has since resided at West Harling Hall, a large and handsome brick mansion, in a sylvan park, on the southern acclivity of the vale of the small river Thet.

His lordship is lord of the manor and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9. 18s. 4d., and in 1831, at £185. The Rev. Charles John Ridley, M.A., is the incumbent. The Church (All Saints,) has recently been thoroughly repaired, and in the chancel are three fine brasses, one of a priest and two of the Birdwell family, who resided here in an embattled mansion, which was demolished in 1725.

Here was anciently a hamlet called Middle Harling, with a church (St. Andrew,) which was levelled in 1543.

In 1616, Dorothy Gawdy left 11A. 2R. 38P. of land in Kenninghall, and 3A. 1R. 2P. in Banham, to provide coats and petticoats for the poor of West Harling. The land is now let for £19 per annum.

Directory:-

	Colborne  Lord               Hall
	Colborne  Hon. W.N.R., M.P.  Hall
	Ridley    Rev. C.J., M.A.    Rectory
	Pymer     Thos.              farmer
	Ringer    John               farmer
	Kerridge  A.                 gamekeeper

See also the West Harling parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2006