HARDWICK, 5 miles N. of Harleston, and 12 miles S. of Norwich, has in its parish 269 souls, and 856 acres of land, held by several owners; but F. B. Frank, Esq., is lord of the manor, and patron of the discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, and consolidated with Shelton.
The Church (St. Margaret,) has a nave and chancel, and some remains of a tower. The glebe here is 7A. 3R. 11P., and the tithes were commuted, in 1837, for £267. 13s. per annum.
The Wesleyans have a chapel here.
Constable James blacksmith Copping Samuel wheelwright Copping Southall shoemaker Goodswen Jonas miller Mason Jonathan vict., Rose and Crown Mullinger Thos. shopkeeper Vipond James joiner farmers (Marked * are owners.) Brown James *Cox John Keable George Lighton Richd. and Robt. Moore Robert Soames Daniel *Vipond James *Willby James and Richard
Copyright © Pat Newby.