Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Hardley

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

HARDLEY, in the vale of the Yare, 2½ miles E.N.E. of Loddon, and 12 miles E.S.E. of Norwich, is a parish in Loddon and Clavering union and petty sessional division, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Loddon hundred, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, East Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 243 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1461 acres, and has a rateable value of £2018 3s. 9d., and a gross rental of £2280 10s. 1d. The land belongs to several owners, the largest of whom is Sir Reginald William Proctor-Beauchamp, Bart., J.P., lord of the manor.

Hardley Cross, near a staithe, is the boundary of the jurisdictions of Norwich and Yarmouth on the river.

The CHURCH (St. Margaret) is a small edifice, comprising nave, chancel, north porch, and round tower with three bells, and was restored in 1878, when the old pews were taken down and open benches substituted. In the chancel is a piscina; and the font is ornamented with the evangelistic symbols. Here is a small harmonium, given by the parishioners.

The trustees of the Great Hospital, Norwich, are impropriators of the tithes, which were commuted in 1842 for £328 per annum. They are also patrons of the perpetual curacy, valued at £120 a year, and now in the incumbency of the Rev. William Henry Cummins, M.A., who resides at Bergh Apton.

The children attend Langley School. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, built about fifty years ago, and enlarged in 1835 and 1857. The Church land, 6A. 2R. 25P. is let for £11 a year.

POST from Norwich, viâ Loddon. Wall letter-box cleared at 3 p.m. on week days only.

	Barber    James          cowkeeper and vict. Staithe House Inn
	Brereton  Jeremiah       cowkeeper
	Brown     Walter         maltster; h Yarmouth
	Brundall  James          farmer, rate collector, and overseer
	Brundall  Jas. jun.      cowkeeper & carrier
	Cannell   George W.      farmer, threshing-machine proprietor,
	                           and agent for King's home-grown seeds,
	                           assessor, and collector of taxes
	Carver    James          farmer, assessor, overseer, and surveyor,
	                           Sadler's farm
	Carver    William        farmer, Church farm
	Cummins   Rev. William
	            Henry, M.A.  rector; h Bergh Apton
	Fish      William        farmer and parish clerk
	Forder    John           thatcher
	Hayward   Edward Walter  farmer, The Hall
	Lutkin    Samuel         farmer
	Plow      John           wheelwright and farmer
	Plow      William        shoemaker
	Reeve     John           frmr. & market gardener
	Riches    Mr William     Avenue farm
	Rudrum    Danl.          shopkr. frmr. & butcher
	Shreeve   Richard        cowkeeper
	Thorpe    Mrs Mary Ann   shopkeeper
	Whiting   Joshua         blacksmith

CARRIER - James Brundall, jun. to Norwich, Wed. and Sat.


See also the Hardley parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 2010