Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Hardley

White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]

HARDLEY, in the vale of the Yare, 2½ miles E.N.E. of Loddon, and 12 miles E.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 214 souls, and 1,428A. of land, belonging to several owners, the largest of whom is Sir W. B. Procter, lord of the manor.

Hardley Cross, near a staith, is the boundary of the jurisdictions of Norwich and Yarmouth on the river.

The CHURCH (St. Margaret,) has a round tower and three bells. The Trustees of the Great Hospital, Norwich, are impropriators of the tithes, (commuted in 1842 for £312 per annum,) and patrons of the curacy certified at £40, and held by the Rev. Thomas Watson, of Costessey. The Church Land, 6A. 2R. 25P., is let for £11.

DIRECTORY:-

Armsby     Robt.         joiner
Belward    Wm.           vict., Staith House
Brundell   Jas.          blacksmith
Dowson     Benj. Utting  merchants
            & Sons
Fish       William       shoemakers
Plow       Robert        shoemakers

farmers

Carver     William
Cross      William Edw.
Goddard    Edward
Goddard    Mary
Manthorpe  William

See also the Hardley parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Mike Bristow.
June 1999