[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HARDINGHAM is a parish of scattered houses, extending from 1½ to 3½ miles N. by E. of Hingham, and is in Mitford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union and petty sessional division, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Hingham polling district of South Norfolk, Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It contains 2366 acres of land of a rateable value of £5183, and had 522 inhabitants in 1881. 300 acres of the parish were enclosed in 1821.
The Earl of Kimberley is lord of the manors of Camois, Gurneys, and Swathings; and the chief landowner is H.W.B. Edwards, Esq., who resides at the Hall. The Hall was much enlarged and greatly improved about eight years ago by the present owner. The Lodge is now the residence of Miss Edwards.
The CHURCH (St. George) is a stone fabric of Early English architecture, comprising nave, chancel, and tower with one bell, and contains an ancient font. It was restored and refitted in 1843. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £15. 3s. 4d., is in the patronage of Clare Hall, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Stuteville Isaacson, M.A., who has a yearly rent-charge of £770, awarded in 1840 in lieu of tithes, and a commodious residence, which was rebuilt in 1834.
Sir Thomas Gresham, founder of the Royal Exchange, was born in this parish.
The SCHOOL, a handsome Tudor building, of brick and flint with stone dressings, will accommodate 200 children, and was built in 1862 at a cost of £1500, by Miss Edwards, who still supports it. Attached to it is a residence for the master.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, comprises 23 acres, let for £25, which is distributed in coals among the poor, who have also £2. 10s. yearly in bread from the bequests of W. Mowting, C. Adcock, and J. and T. Cushings.
POST OFFICE at John Balding's. Letters despatched at 7 p.m.; delivery at 6.45 a.m., viâ Attleborough. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office at Hingham, and the nearest railway station at Hardingham.
Anderson Henry blacksmith Balding John sub-postmaster Baly John farmer, merchant, and manure manufacturer, Yarmouth Birch Joseph farmer, Mansion [sic] green Breeze Richard farmer Bulwer Robert carpenter Bush Frederick vict. Bird-in-Hand Bush James farmer Bush John farmer Cadge John farmer Capps George farmer Coleman William farmer Dye Miss Martha wheelwright and blacksmith Eagling William Johnson farmer, Gresham farm Edwards Henry Wm. Bartholomew Esq.,J.P.,D.L. Hardingham hall Edwards Miss The Lodge Foster Sir Wm., Bart., J.P. The Grove Garner Robert carrier Goldson Wm. beerhouse, the Plough Isaacson Rev. Charles the Rectory Stuteville,M.A. Johnson James stationmaster Lemon - mill manager Male Abraham parish clerk Norton John farmer Pitts Phineas farmer, Old Hall Redford Mrs. Elizbth. A. schoolmistress Redford Thomas schoolmaster Riches Benjamin shopkeeper Riches Walter tailor Spinks Mthw. shopkpr. & pork butcher Vincent Jesse farmer
CARRIER - Robt. Garner, to Norwich, Sat.
See also the Hardingham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.