[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HARDINGHAM is a parish of scattered houses, comprising the hamlets of Flockthorpe and Low Street, and extending from 1½ to 3½ miles N. by E. of Hingham. It contains 602 inhabitants, and 2,422 acres of land, of which 300 were enclosed in 1821. The principal land-owners are Lord Wodehouse, Mrs. Edwards, and some others. Here are the manors of Camois, Gurneys, and Swathings.
The CHURCH, (St. George,) is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £15. 3s. 4d., and in 1831, at £577, but the tithes were commuted in 1840, for £770 per annum. The patronage is in Clarehall, Cambridge, and the Rev. C.Paroissien, M.A., is the incumbent. The only house near the Church is the rectory, rebuilt in 1834.
The large mansion here, formerly the seat of the Woodyeare family, is now a farm-house. Sir Thomas Gresham, founder of the Royal Exchange, was born in this parish. Miss Edwards contributes largely towards the support of two schools here.
The Fuel Allotment awarded at the enclosure, comprises 23A., let for £10, which is distributed in coals among the poor, who have also £2. 10s. yearly, in bread from the bequests of W. Mowting, C. Adcock, and J. and T. Cushings.
In the following Directory, those marked 1 are at Flockthorpe, and 2 in Low Street.
Alcock John carpenter 1 Dye Wm. schoolmaster Edwards Mrs Lucy and Miss Hall Garwood Mr John 1 Goldson George beer-house keeper Holdich Cath. schoolmistress Paroissien Rev. Challis, M.A. rector Rose Hy. vict., Bird in Hand Taylor and Tingey corn millers Taylor John, Esq. solicitor 2 Thurling Benj. blacksmith Thurling Wm. blacksmith FARMERS (* are yeomen.) Anthony John Holdich Francis Baby George Norton John Bennett John Riddlesworth - Carter Joseph * Rose Thos. Duffield Wm. Smith J. Old Hall Goldson John Smith Thomas 1 Haystead Wm.
See also the Hardingham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.