HAPTON, 9 miles S.W. of Norwich, is a parish in Depwade union, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Depwade petty sessional division and hundred, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, Depwade rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 195 inhabitants in 1881, living on 695 acres, and has a rateable value of £1141. The soil is mostly the property of Sir Charles Harvey.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret) comprises nave, chancel, and tower with one bell. It was thoroughly restored in 1869. In the church is a piscina. The perpetual curacy, valued at £125, is in the incumbency of the Rev. John Leach Mitchell Moore, M.A., who has a good residence and 2 acres of glebe; and the patronage, with the appropriation of the tithes, belongs to Christ Church College, Cambridge.
Here is a Presbyterian chapel, which was built in 1741, and endowed with a good house for the minister, and about 120 acres of land, by a Mrs. Elizabeth Gay. The Rev. James Knapton is the present minister.
The parish school is attended by about 45 children.
The population in 1883 was 147, a number of navvies being included in the return for 1881.
POST. - Letter-box cleared at 4.30 p.m., via Long Stratton, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Alliban Thomas farmer Barnes George shopkeeper Clithero James farmer Dix John vict. White Horse Inn Drake Robert shoemaker Green John blacksmith High Miss Mary Anne schoolmistress Horstead Mrs Mary Knapton Rev. James Presbyterian Chapel Leeder Nicholas farmer, Hapton hall Lockwood Thomas farmer Moore Rev. John Leach Mitchell curate Rattee Daniel farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.