HAPTON, 9 miles S.W. of Norwich, has in its parish 203 souls, and 657 acres of land, mostly the property of Hudson Gurney, Esq., but Lord Berners is lord of the manor.
The Church (St. Margaret,) is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at only £40. The Rev. Ezekiel Sparke, M.A., is the incumbent, and the patronage, with the appropriation of the tithes, belongs to Christ College, Cambridge.
Here is an Unitarian Chapel, which was built by Presbyterians in 1741, and is endowed with a good house for the minister, and about 115A. of land, left by a Mrs. Gay.
Baker Philip shoemaker Carpenter Wm. farmer and butcher Dix John vict. White Horse Edwards Thomas farmer and land agent George Robt. shopkeeper Harn Jerh. shoemaker Martin Samuel shoemaker Rix Henry bricklayer Selby Rev. Wm. Unitarian minister Shimmon Robt. blacksmith Smart Wm. wheelgt. Sparke Rev. E., M.A. incumbent Walker Wm. owner Wicks Robt. shopkeeper
Copyright © Pat Newby.