The CHURCH comprises nave, chancel, north and south porches, and square tower containing five bells. It was restored in 1861, and fitted with new and handsomely carved open seats, pulpit, reading-desk, and altar rails, at a cost of £300.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5 1s. 8d., is consolidated with Gunton rectory. Hanworth tithes were commuted in 1839 for yearly rent-charges of £197 to Lord Suffield (the patron of the living and impropriator), £91 to the vicar, and £2 to the vicar of Alby. The rectory house stands in Gunton Park, but within the bounds of this parish.
The SCHOOL was built about the year 1852, and is chiefly supported by Lord Suffield, who annually distributes £10 in bread to the poor.
POST from Norwich.
Atten John parish clerk Bew Miss schoolmistress Boardman John farmer and surveyor, Common Brooks Henry William postmaster Chapman Richd. builder (C. & Son); h Scotch Cottage Chapman William farmer, overseer, builder, &c. (W. & Son) Chapman William & Son builders, contractors and licensed surveyors, blacksmiths, stonemasons,&c. Ebbets James farmer, Park farm Emery George farmer Hooper Frederick gamekeeper Le Neve Wm. farmer; h Tunstead Lubbock Rev. Henry vicar; h Gunton Hammond, B.A. Saul John gamekeeper Scott James blacksmith & machinist Suffling Miss Sarah millnr. & drssmkr Windham William Frederick The Hall Lindsay Bacon,Esq.
See also the Hanworth parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.