William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
HANWORTH, a parish of scattered houses, 5 miles N. of Aylsham, contains
293 inhabitants, and 1165 acres of land, belonging to Lord Suffield, and
the Executors of the late Philip Wynell Mayow (sic), Esq., the former of
whom is lord of the manor and patron of the church, and the latter own
HANWORTH HALL, a handsome modern mansion of brick, standing pleasantly in
a verdant and finely wood-park (sic), broken into bold undulations, and
laid out with much taste. Mr. Mayhow died in December, 1844, and the hall
is about to be sold.
The CHURCH (St. Bartholomew,) is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book
at £5. 1s. 8d., and consolidated with Gunton rectory. Hanworth tithes were
commuted in 1839, for the yearly rents of £197 to the impropriator, (Lord
Suffield;) £91 to the vicar; and £2 to the rector of Aldby.
Durrell Joseph post office
Chapman Jas. wheelwright
Chapman John blacksmith
Heath Rev. Charles rector
Howes Henry bricklayer
Ives George blacksmith
Lambert Richd. shoemaker
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
See also the Hanworth parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.