HALES is a dispersed village, skirting a green of 66A., from 2 to 3 miles S.S.E. of Loddon. Its parish has 302 souls, and 980 acres of land, in the manors of Hales Hall and Loddon Hall. The Earl of Rosebery is lord of the former, and D. Palmer, Esq., of the latter; but a great part of the soil belongs to Sir E. Bacon, and Messrs. A. Freston and E. Easter. It was anciently a seat of the Hales family, who had a chapel at the hall, dedicated to St. Andrew.
The Church (St. Margaret,) is a small fabric, with a round tower, and the living is a perpetual curacy, valued, in 1831, at only £32, and now enjoyed by the Rev. W.W. Hobson, M.A. Sir E.B. Smyth, Bart., is the patron, and also impropriator of the tithes, which have been commuted for £204 per annum.
Chamberlin Wm. tailor Fisher Robert blacksmith Plow John wheelwright Preston Benj. gardener and vict., Garden House Shardalow John corn miller Wooltorton J.H. relieving officer shopkeepers yeomen Beckett John Easter Edward Easter Mary Ann Freston Anthony farmers Beazer Noah Spurgeon Wm. Hammond Thomas Tibbenham Thomas Preston James
Copyright © Pat Newby.