HAINFORD, or Haynford, 6½ miles N. of Norwich, is a large straggling village, in St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, Taverham petty sessional division and hundred, Norwich bankruptcy district, St. Faith's polling district of South Norfolk, Taverham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 629 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1760 acres, and has a rateable value of £2653.
The Hall, an ancient brick building with extensive and pleasant grounds, is the seat of Wm. Brown, Esq., and E.P. Middleton, and some smaller owners have estates here, but the greater part of the soil and the manorial rights belong to C.R. Marsham, Esq.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a cruciform building of brick, with lancet-shaped windows, and a small bell-cot; and was built in 1840 at a cost of £1200. The old church was about half a mile distant, and its tower and vestry are still standing, and form a mortuary chapel for the churchyard, which is still in use.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 2s. 1d., is in the patronage of E.P. Middleton, Esq., J.P., and incumbency of the Rev. F.E. Middleton, B.A. The glebe is 34A., and the tithes have been commuted for £425 per annum. New rectory house built in year 1879, at cost of £1500.
Here is a NATIONAL SCHOOL attended by about 125 children; new schoolhouse built in the year 1872, at cost of £286; and enlarged in 1881, at an outlay of £88. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the parish.
The poor have £30 a year from the owners of the new enclosures, pursuant to a provision of an Act of 1802. In 1693, Thomas Bulwer left to the poor of Hainford £200, which were laid out in land, now intermixed with other poor's land, left by John Sporle, in 1677, and a Mr. Bolts, and comprising altogether, about 76A. with ten cottages, let for £112 a year. Of this income, 10s. are given to poor communicants each time of administering the sacrament, and the residue is divided among poor parishioners, who have also a yearly rent charge of 60s., left by the above-named Thomas Bulwer. There are paid yearly out of the Garrod estate, 6s. to the poor, 3s. 4d. to the rector, and 8d. to the clerk on Low Sunday.
POST OFFICE at Mr. W.P. Roberts'. Letters from Norwich, viâ St. Faith's, arrive at 8 a.m., and depart at 4.10 p.m. Sundays, depart at 8 a.m. Coltishall is the nearest Money Order Office.
Artherton Robert blacksmith & vict. Chequers Inn Blinch Miss Christina schoolmistress Brown Mr Wm. landowner, The Hall Burrell Mr Wm. Baker Chapman Jeremiah postman Claxton George farmer Coman John Roberts shopkeeper Cory Jas. blksmth. engnr. & machinist Everson Jas. Smith carpenter, wheelwright, and parish clerk Fiddy Wm. shoemaker Gelding Robert butcher and farmer, Waterloo cottage Hall John vict. Maid's Head Inn Haylett John farmer Howlett Horatio farmer and owner Huson John grocer Long Robert blacksmith and vict. Wheatsheaf Inn Middleton Edmd. Plane, frmr. & ownr. The Lodge; Esq. J.P. h Hindringham Middleton Rev. Frank rector, The Rectory Edward, B.A. Newton William grocer Nobbs Charles farmer Ostler Henry shopkeeper Page Robert tailor Reynolds James farmer & surveyor, Manor farm Rice Edmund farm bailiff Roberts Wm. Philip plumber, painter and postmaster Savage Robert gamekeeper Sexton William farmer Smith Benjamin farmer and owner, & surveyor, The Grange, & victualler, Norwich Till Mr Thomas West Miss E.E. assistant schlmstress Wells George grocer Woodcock Peter fowl dealer
Copyright © Pat Newby.