Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Hainford

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

HAINFORD, or Haynford, 6½ miles N. of Norwich, is a large straggling village, occupied partly by weavers, and having in its parish 570 souls, and 1755 acres of land. The Hall is the seat of the Rev. A.W. Keppel, A.B.; and the Rev. H.N. Astley has an estate here, but the greater part of the soil belongs to Robert Marsham, Esq., the patron of the Church, (All Saints,) which was built in 1840, at the cost of about £1200, in lieu of the old one, of which the tower and vestry are still standing. The old churchyard is still used, and the new Church is at the distance of nearly half a mile. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 2s. 1d., is enjoyed by the Rev. W.A.W. Keppel. The glebe is 34A., and the tithes have been commuted for £425 per annum.

Here is a National School, attended by about 80 children.

The poor have £30 a year from the owners of the new enclosures, pursuant to a provision of an Act of the 42nd of Geo. III. In 1693, Thomas Bulwer left to the poor of Hainford £200, which was laid out in land, now intermixed with other poor's land, left by Jno. Sporle, in 1677, and a Mr. Bolts, and comprising altogether about 66A., with eight cottages, let for £84 a year. Of this income, £2 is paid to the rector, £2 to the poor communicants, and the residue is divided among the poor parishioners, who have also a yearly rent-charge of 40s., left by the above-named Thomas Bulwer, out of a farm belonging to R. Marsham, Esq. There is paid yearly out of the Garrod estate, 6s. to the poor, 3s. 4d. to the rector, and 8d. to the clerk.

	Basey      Robert            vict. Chequers
	Beck       Austin            beerhouse
	Bowman     Henry             shopkeeper
	Colman     Susan             schoolmistress
	Cornvill   John              coal dealer
	Everson    Wm.               wheelwgt. and shopr.
	Keppel     Rev W. Arnold W.,
	             A.B.            rector, Hainford Hall
	Laws       Wm.               shoemaker
	Lockett    Jas. Chas.        shoemkr. & shopr
	Lockett    Samuel            vict. Maid's Head
	Pearce     Hy. Neale         tailor & draper
	Remington  Wm.               blacksmith
	Roberts    Wm.               plumber, painter, &c
	Smith      Alfred            butcher
	Smith      John              shoemkr. & par. clerk
	Springall  Isaac             yeoman
	Tills      Samuel            corn miller


	Boughen    Wm.               Mack      Robert
	Fransham   Daniel            Neale     Fountain
	Goulden    Wm.               Nobbs     Charles
	Hardy      James             Roberts   James
	Humphrey   Thomas            Springall John
	Laws       Wm.               Wright    Joseph

See also the Hainford parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 2009