HADDISCOE is a pleasant village, 6 miles E. by S. of Loddon, and 9 miles S.W. by S. of Yarmouth. Its parish is in Loddon and Clavering union and petty sessional division, Beccles county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Toft Monks polling district of South Norfolk, Clavering hundred, East Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 390 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2066 acres, and has a rateable value of £3659 10s. 8d.; gross rental, £4859 5s. 5d.
A great part of the parish is in low marshes in the watery vale of the Waveney. It is in several manors. Henry Septimus Grimmer, Esq., is lord of the manor of Haddiscoe and owner of a great part of the soil, and the rest belongs to Messrs. A.J. Palmer, A. Carman, and other small owners. The Manor House, a good modern residence near the banks of the Waveney, is now in the occupation of A. Carman, Esq., and the property of H.S. Grimmer, Esq., of Thorpe Hamlet, near Norwich, who has in his possession a charter granted by Charles II. exempting the inhabitants of Haddiscoe, Thorpe, and Toft Monks from serving on county juries.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) stands on an eminence above the marshes, and is a very curious building of Norman architecture, restored in 1861, at a cost of about £700, towards which the late rector contributed £200 and H.S. Grimmer, Esq., £100. It comprises nave with clerestory, chancel, north aisle, south porch, and tower. The latter, which is round and remarkable for its triangular-headed windows of Early Norman workmanship, contains five bells, which have been restored at a cost of £40.
The seats are good open benches, and the font bears carvings of the symbols of the evangelists. The chancel contains a double piscina with trefoil arches. The south doorway is a beautiful specimen of Norman workmanship, and in a niche over it is a sitting figure in the dress of a bishop. An organ was added by the late rector in 1872. In the nave is a stone incised slab to the memory of a Dutchman, by name Jan Piers Piers, who was master of the dykes in this neighbourhood. The inscription is in Dutch characters. Several mural paintings were discovered during the alterations. Here are several tablets of the Grimmers.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12 and now at £550, with that of Toft Monks annexed to it, in the gift of King's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Arthur Wace, B.A., who has a good residence, built about 30 years ago.
In the reign of Henry III. here was a Preceptory of Knights Templar, who had a chapel in the church dedicated to St. John. In the wall of the churchyard, fronting the road, is a long inscription in memory of William Salter, who for many years drove the machine from Yarmouth to London. The tithes of Haddiscoe have been commuted for £348 10s. per annum, and the glebe is 20A. 2R. 32P.
Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1872. A SCHOOL BOARD for this parish, united with Toft Monks, was established in 1873, and the children attend that school.
The Town Lands, given by Thomas Strange, in 1556, for paying the taxes of the parishioners, repairing the church and highways, and relieving the poor, were partly exchanged at the enclosure in 1814, and now consist of 15A. 1R. 1P., let for £35 a year, the whole of which is applied towards the discharge of the land-tax levied in the parish.
The Dam Land, exchanged at the enclosure for an allotment of 2A. 2R. 28P., was given in 1614, by Thomas Battely and William Stone, for repairing the causeway across the marshes, called Haddiscoe Dam, and for the relief of the poor. About one acre of it is a gravel pit, and the rest is let for £2, which is applied in repairing the road which crosses the marshes to St. Olave's Bridge, near which is a station on the East Suffolk Railway.
The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, consists of 4A. 2R. 16P., let for £14, which is distributed in coals. St. Olave's Bridge, which crosses the Waveney, near the site of Herringfleet Priory, in Suffolk, was founded in the reign of Edward I., and rebuilt in the reign of Henry VIII., and again in 1770.
POST OFFICE at James Bee's. Letters from Norwich, viâ Loddon, arrive at 8.15 a.m., and depart at 2.10 p.m.
Bane James shopkeeper; h Hales Bee James wheelwright & postmaster Brown Edward market gardener Buck James market gardener Campbell Herbert Board schoolmastr Carman Allington, jun. farmer, Manor house, and Aldeby Curtis Robert shoemaker Dawson James market gardener Durrant Mr John Easter Robert shopkeeper Farman Ambrose market gardener Farman Charles marshman Farman Jacob marshman Flaxman Absalom market gardener Flaxman Benjamin market gardener Flaxman Mark market gardener Garrood Chas. Ling overseer, surveyor, assessor and collector of taxes Garrood Fredk. blacksmith & overseer Garwood James market gardener Gowing George parish clerk Holt Mr Henry Jarnany William farmer Keable James market gardener Kett Samuel market gardener Leman John Spence grocer, &c. and (h) Loddon Palmer Ambrose Jno. farmer, The Hall Pashley - (Exors. of) manure and chemical works Sayer Jacob E. farmer, Burnt house Shylow - manager, chemical works Stone - stationmaster Wace Rev. Arthur, B.A. rector of Haddiscoe, vicar of Toft Monks, and diocesan inspector of East Brooke, The Rectory Wilson Thos. Bayles vict. Crown Inn Youngman Geo. vict. Three Tuns Inn
RAILWAY (G.E.R.) - Trains to & from Beccles and Yarmouth for all parts daily; - Stone, stationmaster
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.
Copyright © Pat Newby.