HADDISCOE is a pleasant village, 6 miles E. by S. [of] Loddon, and 9 miles S.W. by S. of Yarmouth. Its parish has 424 souls, and 2066A. of land, a great part of which is in low marshes in the watery vale of the Waveney. It is in several manors. The Exors. of the late Mr. G.J. Grimmer are lords of the manor of Haddiscoe, and owners of a great part of the soil, and the rest belongs to Messrs. S. and H.S. Grimmer, and several other proprietors.
The Church (St. Mary,) stands on an eminence, above the marshes, and has a fine round tower and five bells. Over the arch of the western door is a very curious image, supposed to be one of the oldest specimens of sculpture in the kingdom. The interior has several neat tablets to the Grimmer family. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12, and in 1831 at £797, with that of Toft Monks annexed to it, in the gift of King's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Geo. Fredk. Nicholas, M.A.
In the reign of Henry III., here was a Preceptory of Knights Templar, who had a chapel in the church, dedicated to St. John. In the wall of the church-yard, fronting the road, is a long inscription in memory of Wm. Salter, who for many years drove the machine from Yarmouth to London. The tithes of Haddiscoe have been commuted for £298. 10s. per annum, and the glebe is 20A. 2R. 32P.
The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here.
The TOWN LANDS, given by Thos. Strange, in 1556, for paying the taxes of the parishioners, repairing the church and highways, and relieving the poor, were partly exchanged at the enclosure in 1814, and now consist of 15A. 1R. 1P., let for about £20 a year, the whole of which is applied towards the discharge of the land-tax levied in the parish.
The DAM LAND, exchanged at the enclosure for an allotment of 2A. 2R. 28P., was given in 1614, by Thos. Battely and Wm. Stone, for repairing the causeway across the marshes called Haddiscoe Dam, and the relief of the poor. About one acre of it is a gravel pit, and the rest is let for £2, which is applied in reparing the road which crosses the marshes to St. Olave's Bridge.
The POOR'S ALLOTMENT, awarded at the enclosure, consists of 4A. 2R. 16P., let for £8. 5s., which is distributed in coals.
St. Olave's Bridge, which crosses the Waveney, near the site of Herringfleet Priory, in Suffolk, was founded in the reign of Edward I., and rebuilt in the reign of Henry VIII., and again in 1770.
Bee John wheelwright Cole Wm. shopkeeper Flaxman Robert shoemkr. & shopr. Garrood Charles L. blacksmith Howes Wm. schoolmaster Hubbard Wm. saddler, &c. Nicholas Rev Geo. Fdk., M.A. Rectory Rowell Michael vict. Crown Rushmer Wm. vict. Three Tuns Shardalow Benjamin shoemaker FARMERS. (* are Owners.) Alderson Susan Brabbens Hy. Durrant John Grimmer F. * Grimmer G.J. (Executors of) * Grimmer George * Grimmer Henry S. Manor House * Grimmer Samuel Hall Mace Mrs Eliz. Manship Richard
COACHES daily, to Yarmouth, Bury, &c; and Carriers, Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.
Copyright © Pat Newby.