Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Hackford (near Wymondham)

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]

HACKFORD is a parish 2 miles E. of Hingham, in Forehoe union, petty sessional division and hundred, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Hingham polling district of South Norfolk, Forehoe division of Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry; the parish had 197 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 721 acres of land, belonging to Lord Kimberley, and Mrs. E.P. Clarke, Miss S. Turner, and others. The Earl is lord of the manor.

The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) is in the Early Decorated style, comprising nave, chancel, and south porch. The tower contains a clock and one bell. In the porch is a fine holy-water stoup on a carved pedestal with a canopy; and in the chancel are sedilia, and a piscina with an opening at the side. The steps to the rood loft still remain. In 1857 a new pulpit, reading-desk, and altar rail of oak, were given by the Rev. M.B. Darby, who in 1870 thoroughly restored the tower and porch, and presented the clock, organ, and rich gate.

The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4 15s. 10d. and now at £220. Robert T. Gurdon, Esq., M.P., is patron, and the Rev. John Lacy Miller, of Hingham is the incumbent, and has 23 acres of glebe.

The Fuel Allotment, 10 acres, was awarded at the enclosure in 1807, and is let for £15 a year. The parishes of Hackford, Wicklewod [sic], and Crownthorpe form a School Board district.

POST viâ Wymondham. Letter Box, at James Watts', cleared at 6.15 p.m. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office at Hingham.

	Baker      Henry             pork butcher
	Bush       J. & T.           farmers and victuallers, Lion Inn
	Bush       John   (J. & T.)  farmer and victualler, Lion Inn
	Bush       Thomas (J. & T.)  farmer and victualler, Lion Inn
	Chaplin    Joseph            farmer
	Durrant    Isaiah            farmer
	Fielding   Esau              farmer
	Lain       Samuel            beerhouse and dealer, King's Head
	Mann       James             farmer
	Phillipo   James             farmer
	Phoenis    Thomas            farmer
	Pigg       George            shopkeeper
	Smithson   John              blacksmith
	Taylor     Thomas            pork butcher and parish clerk
	Turner     Miss Sarah        farmer
	Wade       Miss Harriet      farmer
	Watts      James             corn, coal, cake and manure merchant,
	                               and at Kimberley Station,
	                               and farmer and miller at Deepham
	Williamson William           farmer

CARRIER - John Laskey, Hingham and Norwich, Monday, Wed. and Sat.


See also the Hackford (near Wymondham) parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 2002