Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Gunthorpe

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]

GUNTHORPE, 5 miles W.S.W. of Holt, is a parish in Walsingham union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Holt petty sessional division and hundred, Hindringham polling district of North Norfolk, Holt rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 221 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1087 acres, and has a rateable value of £1810.

Gunthorpe was probably originally an out-settlement of the Gunns, who chiefly dwelt in Gunton, and the relative positions on the map seem to confirm this hypothesis. Most of the parish belongs to Edward Bowyer Sparke, Esq., J.P., D.L., the lord of the manor. He resides at Gunthorpe Hall, a handsome mansion, with a well-wooded park of 100 acres, and a small lake of 4 acres.

The CHURCH (St. Mary) comprises nave, north transept, chancel with north chapel, south porch, and square embattled tower with one bell. It was thoroughly restored by the late rector in 1863-4. The chancel is paved with encaustic tiles, and the reredos is of alabaster. Here are sedilia and a piscina; the altar cloth is richly embroidered; and in 1855 the late rector filled the east window with stained glass in memory of his son, Henry Astley Sparke, who was killed in the memorable light cavalry charge at Balaclava. The font is a handsome octagonal one, bearing the evangelistic symbols. Here are several fine mural tablets of the Collyer family.

Mr. Sparke is patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £13, and is now worth £628, with that of Bale annexed. The tithes of this parish were commuted in 1839 for £317 18s. a year, besides £2 2s. from 6 acres titheable to Sharrington. The poor have 25s. a year out of Malthouse Pightle left by John Towne in 1777.

POST from East Dereham. Holt is the nearest Money Order Office.

	AMIES     Robert               farmer
	BRIDGES   Wm.                  grocer and blacksmith
	ELGAR     Alexander            farmer, Wood house
	FITT      Edward               vict. Cross Keys
	FITT      Stephen              parish clerk
	KIDD      Geo.                 gardnr. to E.B. Sparke, Esq.
	KIDDLE    Joseph               schoolmaster
	LIVICK    John Robert          farmer
	MANN      John                 steward to E.B. Sparke, Esq.
	PAYNE     Porter               wheelwright
	PAYNE     Robert               tailor and shopkeeper
	PHILLIPPO James                farmer
	POMFREY   James                farmer
	POMFREY   James, jun.          farmer
	SPARKE    Edward Bowyer, Esq.,
	            J.P., D.L.         The Hall

See also the Gunthorpe parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 2002