Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Guist

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]

GUIST, or Geiste, 2 miles W. of Foulsham, 6 miles S.E. of Fakenham, and 3 miles N. of Elmham Railway Station, is on the northern acclivity of the vale of the Wensum. It is in Mitford union, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Eynsford petty sessional division and hundred, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, Sparham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 390 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1674 acres, and has a rateable value of £2702. The parish is mostly the property of the executors of William Norris, Esq., lord of the manor and impropriator of the great tithes.

The CHURCH (St. Andrew) contains several neat monuments of the Norris, Wiggett, Bulwer, and other families, and a very antique font. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5 15s. 5d., and in 1831 at £160, was augmented, from 1745 to 1794, with £600 of Queen Anne's Bounty, laid out in 38A. of land, at Elmham and Sprowston. It was consolidated with the rectory of Twyford in 1860, and is in the alternate patronage of W. Norris, Esq., and the Rev. J.N. Spurgeon, B.A., the latter of whom is also the incumbent, and resides at Twyford.

GUIST (Miss Packe's) SCHOOL is a handsome and commodious brick building with residence attached, erected in 1871 by Miss Packe's brother-in-law, Sir E. Scott, and by him endowed with £1000 consols for the benefit of the poor of Guist and Twyford; it is also partly supported by subscription and Government grant.

The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1813, consists of 30A., of which 6A. are divided into 20 garden plots, let at rents amounting to £36, and the remainder is used by the poor for cutting fuel. On the garden plot are 11 cottages, the rents for which are distributed in coals. There are also two houses, divided into nine or ten tenements, and about 2½A. of land held by the overseers, who also receive £5 5s. from 8A. of land, enclosed from the waste about 1785. The church and poor have a yearly rent-charge of 20s., left by Robert Wicks in 1569.

POST OFFICE at Mr. John Abbey's. Letters arrive at 5 a.m., and are despatched at 7 p.m., Sundays the same, viâ East Dereham. Foulsham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

	ABBEY      John             grocer, farmer & postmstr
	BERERSFORD William          gardener
	CHAPMAN    Richard          farmer & maltster
	COOPER     William          blacksmith
	FENN       James            farmer
	HAMOND     Commander, R.N.  bank mngr
	KENDALL    Robert           farmer, Manor house
	KERSHAW    Mrs.             schoolmistress
	LAKE       Philip           farmer
	MURRAY     William          farmer
	MYHILL     George Godfrey   bootmaker & shopkeeper
	NELSON     Robert           carpenter
	PHILLIPS   Thomas           farmer, Park farm
	PRESTON    Geo. Tolver      farmer, The Lodge
	SMITH      John             waterman
	YARHAM     Edmund           vict. Black Swan

See also the Guist parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 2002