[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
GUESTWICK, a scattered village and parish, 5 miles N.W. of Reepham, is in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, Sparham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 183 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1646 acres, and has a rateable value of £2184. Lt.-Col. W.E.G.L. Bulwer owns most of the soil. Edwd. Twiss, W.H. Stone, and Jas. Gay, Esqrs., Mrs Heath, and the Marquis of Salisbury have estates here.
The CHURCH (St. Peter), which was appropriated to Waltham Abbey by Everard de Geiste, and comprises nave with aisles, chancel, south porch, and ancient tower, the upper portion of which is of brick. The latter stands at the east end of the north aisle, and its peculiar position is explained by its belonging to a former church which was built in the cathedral style. The arches which led from the nave into the choir are plainly seen, though filled up. The building was reroofed and reseated about 1854, when the west window was filled with stained glass by the patron. The east window has been filled with stained glass in memory of F.R. Gilbert, B.A., eldest son of the present vicar. Here are several mural tablets of the Bulwers.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5 10s., and now at £88, has 18A. of glebe, and was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, in 1809. It is in the patronage of Lt.-Col. W.E.G.L. Bulwer, the impropriator of the great tithes, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Richard Gilbert, M.A., who has a small brick residence.
Here is a large Independent Chapel, founded in 1652, but rebuilt in 1809, and repaired and partly rebuilt in the Tudor style in 1840. The minister's house was erected in 1721, and attached to it are 17A. of land.
The poor have 20s. a year out of 3A., left by William Bulwer, in 1678.
William Godwin, author of 'Caleb Williams,' and other works, was born here, and was the son of a late Independent minister. The NATIONAL SCHOOL, with teacher's residence attached, was built by the lord of the manor, and is supported by subscription.
POST OFFICE at Mr. S. Porrett's. Letters are received at 8.30 a.m., and are despatched at 4.10 p.m., and on Sundays at 9 a.m., viâ East Dereham. Foulsham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Butler J.W. farmer; h Barney Chapman Miss Mary A. schoolmistress Eke Robert blacksmith Gilbert Rev. Richard, M.A. vicar Hickman Rev. Edwd. B. (Independent) Ireland Anthony William farmer, auctioneer, valuer, and estate agent Merrison Mrs Mary Ann Neale Anthony farmer Palmer Stephen farmer Porrett Saml. wheelwrt. & postmaster Seaman Peter farmer Seaman Robert farmer Spencer John Redman frmr. Old hall Whyley Matthew farm bailiff
See also the Guestwick parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.