Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Guestwick

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

GUESTWICK, a scattered village and parish, 5 miles N.W. of Reepham, has 200 souls, and 1650 acres. W.E.L. Bulwer, Esq., owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the Church (St. Peter,) which was appropriated to Waltham Abbey by Everard de Geiste, and has a tower at the east end of the north aisle, and some fine specimens of ancient stained glass. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 10s., and in 1831, at £75, has 18A. of glebe, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Edward Bulwer, of Sall. It was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, in 1809.

Lady Suffield, Sir E.H. Alderson, W.M. Heath, Esq., and a few others, have estates in the parish.

Here is a large Independent Chapel, founded in 1652, but rebuilt in 1809, and repaired and partly rebuilt, in the Tudor style, in 1840. The minister's house was erected in 1721, and attached to it is 17A. of land.

The poor have 20s. a year, out of 3A. left by Wm. Bulwer, in 1678.

Wm. Godwin, author of "Caleb Williams," and other works, was born here, and is the son of a late Independent minister.

	Dewing    John              blacksmith
	Drane     Rev Robert        Independt. min.
	Rump      Charles           shoemaker

	   FARMERS.

	Barber    George
	Goldsmith Samuel            Old Hall
	Hasel     Elizabeth
	Ireland   Anthony Woodhouse (valuer)
	Pegg      Joseph
	Seaman    Robert
	Thomas    Ann
	Thomas    Anthony

See also the Guestwick parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2013