GRESSENHALL, a village and parish on the Litcham road, 3 miles N.W. of East Dereham, had 957 inhabitants, in 1841, including 242 in Mitford and Launditch Union Workhouse, which is already noticed at page 308. [This is the description of Mitford hundred]. The parish contains 2,582A. of land, including 350A. 33P., which anciently formed part of the dissolved parish of Great Bittering. The manors, are North and South Soken and Rougholm, of which J.D.H. Hill, Esq., is lord; and Hareford's, of which A.C. Spurgeon, Esq., is lord, but part of the soil belongs to other proprietors.
The CHURCH, dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, is a large structure, in the cathedral form, with a short but massive tower, rising in the centre, and formerly surmounted by a spire, which was taken down in 1698. The north transept is called Feraur's chantry, or chapel; and that on the south, Hasting's chapel. Here are inscriptions to the families of Estmond, Le'Estrange, Vessey and Davy.
The rectory is valued in the King's Book at £15.13s.4d., and is in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge, and the incumbency of the Rev. Dennis Hill, who rebuilt the Rectory House, about 1808. The glebe is 50A., and the tithes were commuted, in 1842, for £750 per annum. In the reign of Henry the VIII., Wm. de Stutevil, founded a chapel, dedicated to St. Nicholas, in that part of the parish called Rougholm; but it was in ruins when Blomefield wrote, and was afterwards converted into a house.
Two annual FAIRS for horses, cattle, &c., are held on Dec. 6th, and the Tuesday before Whit-Sunday, and the former is numerously attended.
A National School was built here, in 1842, by J.D.H. Hill, Esq.
The church land is 2A.1R. The Poor's Allotment, 7A.3R.34P., let for £8, was awarded in 1810. The poor have also £6 a year, as the rent of 6A., received at the enclosure, in exchange for 4A., left by John Curson, in 1667; and also 10s.6d., paid yearly, for the right of setting stalls on the "Fairstead."
Alpe Mrs Ann Bradfield Rt. Workhouse School Christmas Eliz. beer-house keeper Clarke Robt. wheelwright Dodman John wheelwright Everett Richard blacksmith Frost Samuel bricklayer Golding Jas. shoemaker Hannent John corn miller Hill Rev. Dennis Rectory Hill John David Hay, Esq. Hall Howard Wm cattle dealer Lemon Jas. shoemaker Peck Robert farrier Riches John shoemaker Spragg Wm. carpenter Spurgeon Astley Cooper, Esq. Wood-lands Tuck Mary shopkeeper Twigg Thomas carpenter Tye Benj. grocer and draper Wardlaw Mary National School Watson Isaac tailor Whelan Geo. Francis master of the Union Workhouse INNS AND TAVERNS Chequers Robt. Tye (and cooper) Royal Oak (empty) Three Horse Shoes John Hewitt White Swan Geo. Dodman FARMERS Alpe William Hill Joseph Archer Joseph Nicholson James Brown James Pease David Brown George Pease Samuel Burton John Rosher John Hill John White James
See also the Gressenhall parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.