Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Gresham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

GRESHAM parish, 5 miles S.W. of Cromer, has 340 inhabitants, and 1412A. of land, belonging to various owners; but G.S. Repton, Esq., is lord of the manor, which was held by the celebrated Geoffry Chaucer, and afterwards passed to a family of its own name. Sir Edmund Bacon had a license in the reign of Edward II. to embattle his manor-house here, which was subsequently strengthened by Sir Thomas Gresham. This castle had a moat, with a round tower at each corner.

The CHURCH (All Saints,) has a round tower, with a nave, chancel, and porch. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 18s. 9d., has 24A. of glebe, and is in the gift of the Rev. John Spurgeon, and incumbency of the Rev. F.E. Arden, B.A. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £321 per annum.

The Methodists have a small chapel here.


	Arden     Rev. Fras.
	            Edward, B.A. Rectory
	Brown     John           lime burner
	Brown     John           shoemaker
	Curtis    James          tailor
	Field     Mr. John
	Lees      Wm. C.         miller
	Mann      Thomas         blacksmith  [see note below]
	Ransom    Robt.          blacksmith  [see note below]
	Royal     Robert         wheelwright
	Sharpin   Robert         grocer and veterinary surgeon
	Wilson    John           shoemaker and vict., Chequers


	Clarke    John           Scott     Abraham Leman
	Curtis    Robert         Scott     Mrs. F.
	Durrant   John           Scott     Thomasin and Janet
	Holman    Peter          Scott     Robert
	Leman     Barnabas       Spendlove Wm.

Note: In the original this is:
   Thomas Mann and Robt. Ransom, blacksmiths
See also the Gresham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2002