GLANDFORD-WITH-BAYFIELD, the former 4½ miles N.W. of Holt, and the latter 2½ miles, forms a civil parish in Erpingham union, Holt hundred, petty sessional division, county court district, and rural deanery, Norwich bankruptcy district and archdeaconry, Holt polling district of North Norfolk. It has a rateable value of £1529 6s. 3d., and a gross estimated rental of £1688 2s. 6d. It comprises 1163 acres of land, and contained 107 inhabitants in 1871, of which 364 acres and 68 persons were in Glandford, and the rest in Bayfield. Sir A. Jodrell, Bart., is owner of Glandford and lord of the manor.
Glandford CHURCH (St. Martin) has been long in ruins, but its tower is nearly entire, and the chancel is suffiently perfect to admit of service being held in it every Sunday evening. The churchyard was lately reopened after having been closed for many years, and is about to be enclosed round with iron rails at a cost of about £100. The perpetual curacy is consolidated with Cockthorpe, Blakeney, and Little Langham, and has 11A. 1R. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £97 per annum.
Mr. Powell farms part of the parish, and the rest is occupied by Mr. Robins Cooke, who is also a corn miller, land agent, &c.
BAYFIELD belongs to Sir Alfred Jodrell, Bart., the lord of the manor and patron of the living, who resides at Bayfield hall, a good brick mansion, standing in a beautiful park, in the vale of the river Glaven. Near are the ivy-mantled ruins of the CHURCH (St. Margaret), and the benefice is a sinecure rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4, now in the incumbency of the Rev. Bernard Moore (non-resident). The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £168 6s. per annum, and the inhabitants attend Letheringsett church.
Bavis James sexton Cooke Robins corn miller, coal mercht. shipowner, farmer, overseer, and surveyor; and at Blakeney Powell Nicholas farmer
Fuller Benjamin farmer, The Lodge Grout Samuel steward, Home farm Jodrell Sir Alfred, Bart. The Hall West David gamekeeper
The rateable value is £1455. Bayfield principally belongs to Sir A. Jodrell.
Copyright © Pat Newby.