GIMINGHAM, on a rivulet, 4½ miles N. of North Walsham, is a parish in Erpingham union, North Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, North Walsham polling district of North Norfolk, Norfolk archdeaconry, Repps rural deanery.
It had a rateable value in 1881 of £2592. It contained 270 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1453 acres of land, belonging to various owners, and lying in the manor of Gimingham-Lancaster, which extends into several parishes, and is held of the Crown by Lord Suffield. The fines are partly certain and partly arbitrary. Sir T.F. Buxton, Bart., Col. Collyer, and some smaller owners, have estates here.
The CHURCH (All Saints), comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with three bells, and was thoroughly restored, reseated, and furnished with new pulpit, reading-desk, &c., in 1862, by the rector, who also filled the east and west windows with stained glass.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11 10s. 10d., is in the gift of Catherine-Hall, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Ven. Ralph Blakelock, M.A., who has a good residence. The glebe is 35A., and the tithes were commuted in 1839 for £413 per annum. The rector has 1A. 1R. of land, left by Widow Browning, for a sermon on St. Stephen's day. An acre is charged with providing bell-ropes. The Rev. W.F. Dixon is the curate.
The SCHOOL, established in 1834, is attended by 52 children, and supported by subscription.
POST from Norwich, viâ North Walsham.
Allard John farmer and owner Allard William farmer and owner Bates Samuel carpenter and wheelwright Beaumont Mrs. schoolmistress Blakelock The Venerable Ralph, M.A. rector, The Rectory Blower Michael parish clerk; h Trimingham Crowe Edmund farmer, Grove farm Cushion Mr John Gaze Walter miller and farmer Gillam Stephen farmer & surveyor Harvey James shopkeeper Marsh James lime burner Moore Robert Norman miller Plumbly Walter farmer & overseer Porritt John Black farmer, valuer & manure agent, Hall farm White John blacksmith
Copyright © Pat Newby.