GIMINGHAM, on the banks of a rivulet, 4½ miles N. of North Walsham, has in its parish 383 souls, and 1453 acres of land, belonging to various owners, and lying in the manor of Gimingham-Lancaster, which extends into several parishes, and is held of the Crown by Lord Suffield. The fines are partly certain and partly arbitrary.
The CHURCH (All Saints,) is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11. 10s. 10d., and is in the gift of Catherine-Hall, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Ralph Blakelock, M.A. The glebe is 26A., and the tithes were commuted in 1839 for £413 per annum. The rector established a National school in 1834, and has 1A. 1R. of land, left by Widow Browning, for a sermon on St. Stephen's day. An acre is charged with providing bell ropes.
One of the two Workhouses of Erpingham Union is here, as noticed at page 749 [which is the entry for North Erpingham hundred].
Blakelock Rev. Ralph, M.A. Rectory Clark John blacksmith [see note below] Cornish Wm. wheelwright Neave John shoemaker Pycroft Hy. blacksmith [see note below] Rix George master of the Workhouse Sexton James shopkeeper Shreve Mrs. schoolmistress Waterson John miller farmers. Allard Wm. Neave John Clarke John Plumbly Thos. Gillam Robt. Rising Robert Helsdon Charles Turner Chas. Lacey Robert
Note: in the original this is
John Clark and Hy. Pycroft, blacksmiths
Copyright © Pat Newby.