Winston and Windale, two decayed parishes, have long been lost in the bounds of Gillingham; and the boundary of All Saints and St. Mary's is but little known; the two rectories, valued in the King's Book at £10. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £564, being consolidated in 1748, when All Saints' church was taken down, except the tower, which is now thickly mantled with ivy. Its burial ground is still used.
St. Mary's Church, on the opposite side of the road, is a fine specimen of Norman architecture, with a square tower, rising in the centre, and containing three bells. The rectory is in the patronage of Miss Schutz and Lady G. Beresford; but the Rev. John Lewis, the present incumbent, has purchased the next presentation. The glebe is 69A. 1R. 30P., and the tithes were commuted in 1840, for £482. 18s. 1d. per annum.
The wharf, warehouses, &c., at the north end of Beccles Bridge, are in this parish.
The TOWN LANDS, &c., consist of 10A. 12P., and two tenements called the Leet-House, given by an unknown donor, and now let for £21 a year; and 19A. 1R 35P., let for £30 a year, and given in 1596, by Edward Everard. The rents are applied yearly as follows: about £20 in distributions of coal among the poor; £6 to the superintendent of a Sunday-school, and the remainder in the service of the church.
Balls Thos. miller Boon Alfred vict., Swan Inn Dawes James tailor Lewis Rev. John Rectory Mobbs James shoemaker Musk Fras. joiner Parker Thos. gent. Schutz Miss Susan Hall Thompson John shopr. Thornton Richd. brewer, &c. Crisp John, jun. maltster, coal merchant, &c., Bridge Wharf Tripp John blacksmith farmers Banham John Mapes Susan Bexfield Benj. Nixon Charles Brundell Benj. and Playford John Eliz.
COACHES and CARRIERS pass daily to Yarmouth, Ipswich, Lowestoft, &c.
Copyright © Pat Newby.