Here are several malt-houses, a large brewery, and a staith, with a navigable cut to the Waveney. H.G. Dowson, Esq., the Rev. G. Hart, and others have estates here.
The Church (St. Michael,) has a round tower. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and in 1831 at £196, in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. John Mainwaring, for whom the Rev. E.J. Jones officiates. The glebe is 24A.
The Poor's Allotment, 7A. 20P., was awarded at the enclosure.
The School, conducted on the British system, was built by H.G. Dowson, Esq., in 1825.
Bradnam Wm. gardener Clark Saml. schoolmaster Dowson Henry Gibson maltster, brewer, and spirit merchant Dowson Edw. U. and Septimus corn and coal merchants, maltsters, &c. Dowson Mrs. B.U. and Mrs. J.W. gentwn. Jones Rev. Edward J. curate Kerrich John, Esq. Hall King George vict., Wherry shoemakers shopkeepers Algar Jas. Balls John Barkaway Wm. Bensley Margaret joiners farmers Atkins Benj. Balls Wm. Chaplin Chas. Hinsley Thomas and Richd. Mapes Mary Tovell Samuel
Copyright © Pat Newby.