GAYWOOD is a considerable village, at the junction of the Castle-Rising and Gayton roads, 1 mile E. of Lynn; adjoining to which town it has in its parish a suburb of cottages called Highgate, a modern row of neat houses called Albion Place, a good Inn and bowling-green, called the Spread Eagle, several windmills, and the Hospital of St. Mary Magdalen, already described with Lynn, to which it belongs. (See page 536.)
The parish of Gaywood has increased its population since the year 1821, from 474 to 1,064 souls, and contains about 2,200A. of land, of which nearly 1,400 acres belongs to Richd. Bagge, Esq., the lord of the manor. The Dean and Chapter of Norwich have 150A. here. The common, about 500 acres, was inclosed in 1808. A great part of the soil is in grass, and through the vale, on the north side of the parish, runs a crystal rivulet, from the springs of Grimstone, Reffly, &c., to the waterworks at Lynn.
Two FAIRS are held here annually, on June 22nd and October 17th, the former for stock, and the latter for horses. A cheese fair, formerly held here on Oct. 17th, is now held on the Custom-House quay, at Lynn. The inhabitants are much inconvenienced by two toll-bars at the entrances to the village from Castle-Rising and Gayton.
The CHURCH (St. Faith) is a plain cemented building, with a brick tower and three bells, and is partly sheltered by the plantations of the handsome rectory-house, which adjoins the burial ground. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £505, is in the gift of Richard Bagge, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Hulton, M.A.
The National School, consisting of two large rooms for boys and girls, was built by subscription, in 1833.
In the reign of Henry II., the Bishop of Norwich held Gaywood and Lynn in capite, and would not suffer the King's bailiffs, or coroners, to enter the lordship, where he had officers of his own, a gallows, assize of bread and beer, and other royalties. Bishop Grey built a Palace here, on the site now occupied by Gaywood Hall, a neat farm-house, belonging to R. Bagge, Esq., nearly half a mile south of the village.
About one mile to the north is the majestic wood and chalybeat spring of REFFLY, belonging to Sir W.J.H.B. Ffolkes, but appropriated by the late Baronet, as a place of resort, for the people of Lynn, whom he long represented in Parliament. Reffly Spring is a fine rural fountain, over-canopied with foliage, and having a handsome obelisk rising from its centre. Round it are seats, and at a short distance is an elegant octagonal temple, built and supported by subscription, at the head of a verdant lawn, encompassed by umbrageous trees and shrubs. On the opposite side of the valley is Gaywood Spring, with a neat temple and shady plantation, belonging to Mr. Bagge.
At the enclosure, an Allotment of 21A. 2R. 7P. was awarded to the poor parishioners, and it is now let in 23 lots, to labouring men, at rents amounting to £9 4s., which is distributed in coals. The yearly sum of £2, left by Dr. Thomas Thurlyn, in 1708, to provide coats for three poor men, is paid by the Corporation of Lynn. The Church Estate comprises a house and two cottages, with gardens, let for £14, and 3A. 1R. 36P. of land, let for £12 7s. a year.
In the following Directory of GAYWOOD PARISH, those marked 1 are at Highgate; 2 Albion Place; and 3 at Wootton Gap.
Bagge Richard, Esq. (& Lynn) [see note below] 3 Bloomfield Henry brewer & maltster 1 Clarke Hammerton millwright 2 Dawson John coal dealer 2 Dewing William Lynn traveller 2 Dusgate Mrs. M. Etches John Graham registrar and relieving officer Ewen Mr. Rt. Goddard Miss National school 2 Goodall Thomas butcher 1 Gunton James fellmonger Hulton Rev. Thomas, M.A. Rectory Lack Mr. John Larkin Mrs. M. 2 Lawrence Mrs. S. Lewis Benj. P. Marsters Mrs. Victoria place Martin and Harrison beast-salesmen 2 Oldfield Mrs. Eliz. Platten George solicitor, (& Lynn) Purdy Mrs. Victoria place Saunders Mr. John Tan-yard Saunders John G. tanner, &c. 2 Sherwood Mrs. Elizabeth Simms Mary 1 Southgate Charles millwright 1 Springall William cowkeeper 2 Walker Stephen Wardle Miss A. Wells Henry saddler, Victoria place Woods John & William gardeners INNS AND TAVERNS. 2 Dunger William Albion Bay Ramm William Cock (& carpenter) 3 Smith Edward New Inn Park Edmund Ship Cutting Geo. Spread Eagle (& brewer) Engledow Edward Swan Inn Woodward Thomas White Horse Beer Houses. Coleman Sarah Etches John G. Johnson John Nichols Robert Wells Mary Blacksmiths. Corn Millers. Cross William Griffin Thomas, Steam mill Shilling J. 3 Plowright G.B. 1 Silence Nicholas Sands Nicholas 3 Ward Thomas Tennant Matthew FARMERS. Blake Geo., Reffly Martin William Bougen John Mawby Thomas Dye William Read Thomas Holden William Share William, (to R. Bagge, Esq.) Shoemakers. Bocking Dalton Raines John (and parish clerk) Shopkeepers. 1 Benstead Shd. Frost Robert (and baker) Sands John (and cow doctor) 1 Winkley James Wheelwrights. Crowe Daniel (& founder;) house, Fakenham Matthews Robert 1 Silence Nicholas 3 Ward Thomas
Copyright © Pat Newby.