GAYTON-THORPE, a small retired village, nearly a mile S.E. of Gayton, and 8 miles E. by S. of Lynn, is in Freebridge Lynn union, Lynn county court district and bankruptcy district, Freebridge Lynn petty sessional division, Massingham polling district of West Norfolk, Freebridge Lynn hundred, Lynn rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 162 inhabitants in the year 1881, living in 36 houses on 2289 acres, and has a rateable value of £1710. It is all the property of Anthony Hamond, Esq., the lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (dedicated to St. Mary) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and round tower with two bells, one of which is cracked. The tower is of the late Norman period, and its upper windows are enriched with the chevron and other ornaments. The rest of the building is in the Perpendicular style, but the porch is modern. The font is octagonal and has carvings of the seven sacraments and another subject on its sides. The church was repaired and the south chancel window re-opened in 1881-2, at the expense of the rector and churchwardens. The registers date from 1580.
The benefice was consolidated with East Walton about 50 years ago. A. Hamond, Esq., is patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £6, and is now worth £500. The Rev. George Keppel, of East Walton, is the incumbent. The tithes were commuted for this parish for £309.
Here is a WALL LETTER-BOX, cleared, viâ Lynn, at 4.50 p.m. week days, and at 11 a.m. Sundays. Gayton is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Hall Joseph vict. Gate, and farmer Ives Frederick brickyard manager Patterson James parish clerk Rix George farmer, Large farm Wellingham John farmer
RAILWAY STATION - East Winch is the nearest
The Rev. Molyneux Sheffield Crampton Fitzhardinge Hardinge, B.A., is now the rector.
Copyright © Pat Newby.