GAYTON, a fertile parish and extensive and well-built village, pleasantly situated on the Litcham road, 6½ miles E. of Lynn, increased its population from 397 in 1801, to 789 in 1841, including 57 in the large Union Workhouse, which was built here, in 1836, and is already noticed at page 585 [which is the entry for Freebridge Lynn Hundred].
The parish comprises 3,214A. 1R. 28P. of land, under which are beds of excellent lime and flint. It is in three MANORS, viz:- Gayton Hall, (about 1,500 acres,) belonging to Andrew St. John, Esq., of Dover; Well Hall, (nearly 1,000A.,) belonging to Robt. Mitford, Esq., of Gateley; and West Hall, of which Sir T.J. Jones, of Crammer, is lord and owner.
The CHURCH, (St. Nicholas,) is an ancient structure, in good repair, with a tower and two bells, and a spacious burial ground. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8 6s. 8d., and now possessing 23A. 2R. 3P. of glebe. The Ven. Archdeacon Glover, of Southrepps, is the incumbent, and the Bishop of Norwich is the patron. A. St. John, Esq., holds the rectorial tithes, on a renewable lease for three lives, under the Bishop of Ely. In 1839, the rectorial tithes were commuted for £483 18s. 6d., and the vicarial for £310 per annum.
Here is a Wesleyan, and also a Primitive Methodist Chapel; the former built in 1811, and the latter in 1844.
The poor parishioners have £3 4s. 8d. yearly, left by the Rev. Thomas Hopes, in 1615, out of the tithes of Notley, in North Runcton and Middleton, and 30s. from two rent charges, left by unknown donors, out of land, now belonging to the St. John and Simpson families. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, in 1811, comprises 30A. 1R. 22P., let for about £40 a year, which is distributed in coals.
A Hiring for Servants is held here in the week before Old Michaelmas day.
Barrett John governor of Workhouse Billing John wheelwright Cann William basket maker Curtis William grocer and draper, Post Office, (letters desptchd. 3 after.) Faircloth Robert porter, Workhouse Fox Buscall coal dealer, and carrier to Lynn Gilbert Rev. Arthur, M.A. curate Grummitt Mr. George Hammond Frederick shopkeeper Hastings Richard tailor, (and Mrs.) Headley John surgeon and registrar Hoare Thomas vict., Rampant Horse Lane Susan vict., Crown Large Mr. James Marshall Jeremiah bricklayer Matthews Robert corn miller & baker Meek Richard turner, clogger, and patten maker Oldfield Mr. Edward Phillips Mrs. Workhouse School Roberson Robert bricklayer Sainty Edward horse dealer Sooley John farrier Spragg Noah parish clerk Taylor William blacksmith Waldon Widow lime burner Walker Henry gamekeeper Whincop Jane ladies' seminary Beer Houses. FARMERS. Fayers Martin Cobon Jas., Well Hall Hammond George Heaton William Matthews Abm. Blacksmiths. Moore Francis Palmer Maria, West Hall Chapman John Rix Henry Taylor William Woods Nicholas Woods Philip H. Butchers. Daws John Smith Richard Joiners, &c. Shoemakers. Fayers Martin Grimes Luke Padgett John Richardson Wm.
Copyright © Pat Newby.