GATELEY parish, 8 miles N.W. of East Dereham, is in Mitford union, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Launditch hundred and petty sessional division, Litcham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 154 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1490 acres, and has a rateable value of £2079. Lord Sondes (the lord of the manor) and F.A. Morse Boycott, Esq., are chief owners of the soil.
The CHURCH (St. Helen) consists of nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with three bells. Here is an old rood-screen, on the lower panels of which are nearly obliterated paintings of four female saints, a Pope, Henry VI., a Bishop, and a figure of John Schorn holding a boot, into which the devil has just been conjured.
The vicarage is consolidated with the rectory of Brisley (see p. 168 [which is the entry for Brisley]) Here are 28A. 3R. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1840; the rectorial for £203, and the vicarial for £142 per annum. The former belong to Christ's College, Cambridge.
The village green is 6A. 1R., and the poor have the rent of 2½ acres left by Robert King in 1697.
Mr. Money Griggs, who died in his 100th year, on March 1, 1872, had resided on the Manor farm all his life, and so hale was he at 90 that he followed the hounds.
POST via Dereham. North Elmham is the nearest Post, Money Order, and Telegraph Office, and Railway station.
Betts Edmund farmer Betts Walter farmer, The Hall Edwards James William Nelson farmer, Manor house Hawes Thos. blacksmith & parish clerk Phillipo James farmer Whidby George farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.