GATELEY parish, 7 miles N. by W. of East Dereham, has 134 inhabitants, and 1497 acres of land. Lord Sondes is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil, but Mr. Charles Elgar and some others have estates here.
The Church (St. Helen) is a small structure, consisting of nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with three bells. Here is an old rood-screen, on the lower panels of which are nearly-obliterated paintings of four female saints, a Pope, Henry VI., a Bishop, and John Schorn. The latter is represented holding a boot, into which he has just "conjured the devil."
The vicarage is consolidated with the rectory of Brisley (see p.954 [which is the entry for Brisley]). Here are 28A. 3R. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1840: the rectorial for £203, and the vicarial for £142 per annum. The former belong to Christ's College, Cambridge.
The Town Land is 6A. 1R., and the poor have the rent of 2½ acres left by Robert King, in 1697.
The chief residents are -
Case Miss Mary Smith Hill House [see note below] Chambers Miss Susannah Ord Hill House [see note below] Hawes Thos. blacksmith and parish clerk farmers. Betts Edw. Betts Wm. Griggs Money (Manor House) Howell Wm.POST from Thetford.
Copyright © Pat Newby.